The other day Luvvie Alex from Family Tree Frog suggested we tweak our blog this weekend. Geniaus also thinks it’s time for a mini-makeover. Don’t they know it’s not spring yet? So why are we spring-cleaning our blogs?
At first it all seemed too anxiety-provoking but I’ve been tweaking away today. It’s a bit like going to the day spa…you feel so good you think it will be Elle Macpherson you see in the mirror, but nada, not so.
Some months ago I removed all the old awards and many of the themes and memes images. I don’t need them – they show in my “memes and themes” category anyway.
What’s survived the cull?
- Kiva Genealogists for Families link – because it’s important!
- The Translation icon so my posts can be read by non-English readers especially anyone interested in my German research
- The link to my own Beyond the Internet series from 2012
- The blogroll with links to my other blogs
- The much appreciated Inside History “Top 50” badges from 2012 and 2013 and the Family History Magazine badge 2012
- My comments image because the exchange between reader and writer is part of the fun
- The Geneabloggers badge – go team!
- The flag image as a ready-reckoner for me to see where my readers originate
- removed the tag cloud on this blog because it was cluttered but left it on my East Clare blog so people can easily see names and places.
- changed the Categories from a list to a drop-down menu to declutter the space
- the search facility on the side bar is gone – there’s already a search option on the top right
- removed the blog links icon as I have a page for these links anyway
- resized some of the images so they take up less space and for consistency
- cleaner social media buttons at the bottom of each post (thanks Geniaus for provoking me into finding what was under my nose!)
- Drop down menu on my Resources tab for blog links, online and offline resources, and a link which gives all my Beyond the Internet topics
- Resequenced the tabs on the pages menu (below the image).
Generally I’m happy with my blog theme. I previewed quite a few WP templates and none suited my purposes as well.
The images roll over randomly so it doesn’t get boring in that regard and I can always add more.
In the past I’ve changed the background to cleaner, easier to read colours.
The blog has lots of pages so since first posting this I’ve modified the resources to be a drop down menu. I’ve also managed to prioritise them differently so overall it looks less cluttered.
And, yes, my blog links need to be updated…so if you think I’ve forgotten you by mistake, please send me a comment.
Okay, deep breath! I’ll be brave and ask what you think of my mini-makeover?