It may be winter but it’s sunny and warm-ish in South-East Queensland right now – and it’s also less than a year until the Waves in Time 2019 Conference being held on the glorious Sunshine Coast from 24 to 26 May 2019.
Behind the scenes a lot has been happening to ensure you have a great time with your genealogy surfing at the conference.
HOT NEWS FOR REGIONAL ATTENDEES[i]
Thanks to the generous support of History Queensland, regional attendees beyond South-East Queensland may wish to apply for one of the two “grants” of $500 on offer. Recognising that more remote genealogists may find it financially difficult to travel and attend, these will be offered competitively based on the following conditions:
To apply for regional support
- You must be a resident of Queensland.
- You must belong to an organisation that is a member of History Queensland (HQ)[ii].
- Your application must be endorsed by that organisation.
- If you are successful, you must do a presentation to your society after the conference and write a short piece to go in HQ News about the conference.
- You must be a resident of a local council area outside south-east Queensland. That is, outside all the following local council areas:
City of Brisbane, Gold Coast City, City of Ipswich, Logan City, Lockyer Valley Region, Moreton Bay Region, Noosa Shire, Redland City, Scenic Rim Region, Somerset Region, Sunshine Coast Region
If you wish to apply for support, download the Support for Regional Delegates PDF Application Form[iii], scan/copy/photograph, complete the form, and email the completed form to email@example.com. Alternatively post to Waves in Time 2019 Conference, P0 Box 968, Caloundra QLD 4551 to reach the committee before the closing date – 14 September 2018.
The Committee will consider all applications and make a decision on 15 October 2018.
Successful applicants will be advised by 18 October 2019. In addition to the
The Committee’s decision regarding the successful applicants will be final. Further enquiries can be made through firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Time is ticking for those who wish to submit Speaker Proposals for Waves in Time.
- The Call for Speakers closes on 31 August 2018 and all proposals received will be acknowledged.
- The decision on speakers will be made by 31 October 2018 by the Conference Committee.
- Successful speakers will be advised by 12 November 2018 and will be entitled to a free conference registration.
The Conference organisers have negotiated special rates from the closes accommodation providers to the conference: Best Western Plus Lake Kawana Hotel and the Aquarius Kawana Apartments. You can check these out on the Waves in Time website here[v]. (You will need to check the arrangements for booking on this site).
Of course there are many options further afield on the coast if you want to explore other choices[vi] or you may already have a favourite you visit on holidays.
SOCIAL MEDIA and AMBASSADORS
Twitter at https://twitter.com/wavesintime2019 Hashtag #wavesintime2019
The Social Media Ambassadors for the conference will be well known to many of you:
Caitlin Gow blogging here and on Twitter @caitieamanda
Shauna Hicks blogging here and on Twitter @HicksShauna
Fran Kitto blogging here and on Twitter @travelgenee
Helen V Smith blogging here and on Twitter @DragonGenealogy
You’ll be hearing more from each and all of us as the conference draws closer. Don’t forget you can use the Waves in Time 2019 Facebook group to ask questions about the conference or the Sunshine Coast from your fellow genimates and the locals who live here.
Apart from the joys of learning new skills to help with your genealogy/family history, geneaconferences are great places to spend time with fellow genimates, meet new (and “old”) friends, and talk about your research. It’s going to be FUN!!